Sharp

Sharp. Ink and Acrylic. 2020

The story of this piece is actually quite interesting. It was 11:30 p.m., I was hours into watching my favorite series on Hulu (One Tree Hill), and I got a sudden burst of inspiration/motivation, but not for this piece. Instead, I felt motivated to work on a different piece I had started about two weeks prior. However, soon after starting this rather time consuming and challenging piece, my inspiration for it quickly died as I felt the quality of my work at the time was not up to my standards. So then I stopped working on that piece, and within 30 minutes, Sharp was born. 

I got the idea (or should I say eye-dea) when I glanced at my fridge and saw one of my eye doodles that I had made earlier in the week. So then I thought, "you know what? I'm gonna draw an eye... but with sharpie markers and on a canvas." And so, I did! Immediately, a problem had surfaced- I had no skin colored sharpies. In fact, I only had bright reds, yellows, oranges, pinks, and the like. So I combined the aforementioned colors with curved lines in a way that would give the drawing both dimension, and a somewhat realistic feeling (from a distance at least.) I used the darker magenta and purple colors to create shadows, and I used the lighter yellows and oranges for the highlights. I also had to create this piece without being able to create different values with one medium, like I can do with pencil. 

When I completed the piece, I thought it looked rather flat, so I decided to use a white paint pen to create highlights. I added small highlights here and there and blended them with my finger, but I added a main highlight to the pupil, which I left unblended. While this is distracting at first, it helps distract the view from seeing the characteristics of this drawing that I find flawed. One could say it is a metaphor: if you focus too much on one thing, it alters your view on everything else. So if you focus on just the good, or just the bad (which ever is most apparent at the time), then you have a skewed vision of reality. The large and prominent highlight also draws the viewer to the piece, especially if they see it from a distance. 

All in all, this was definitely a challenging piece, and I cannot wait to create more pieces in the future, although I will not have Mr. Goedert setting the due dates for me. I also want to add in a quick thank you. Mr. Goedert, thank you for challenging me throughout all six years of my art classes, and thank you for the fun art club memories. You are a wonderful teacher and artist, and I know that you will aspire other young artists in the years to come. So once again, thank you. 

Comments

Popular Posts