What's in Your Mind?

What's in Your Mind? Mixed Media. 2018-2019. 42 x 63 inches
Ever since 7th grade, I have challenged myself with a large art piece and my Junior year was no exception. Over the summer of 2018, my cousin and photographer Josh Lloyd, took my pictures, one of which was the inspiration for this piece. To begin the drawing, I had to cut a piece of paper from a large roll and then I had to alter it to fit the ratio of the picture taken by Josh so that it would make drawing the grid easier. I then printed off the photo I wanted to use in black in white as well as in color. After that, I divided the printed photograph into a number of grids (measured in cm to make it easier for me). I divided the large piece of paper into the same number of grids as the photograph. For example, if my photograph was divided into 25 squares, then the paper I would be drawing on would be divided into 25 squares as well. This simplified the drawing process and allows you to draw the correct proportions, which is necessary when it comes to drawing on such a large scale.

Once I got the basic aspects of my self portrait drawn, I began the shading and tweaking process, which by far took the longest. I used pencils ranging in darkness from HB to 9B and I blended using a variety of materials including tortillions, Kleenexes, cotton balls, Q-tips, and on occasion, my fingers. I used the tortillions when I wanted a darker, and more precise blend, such as around the eyes, mouth, and nose. I used the Kleenexes when I wanted a soft and more gradient blend, or when I needed to blend a large area, like that of the arms. My first step to shading is to always put down a light base layer of pencil, which is normally around the lightest shade of the image I'm drawing from. From there, I add in details which eventually leads to the complete image. Along with pencils, I used a 4B charcoal pencil to assist in getting the blackness of the shirt and the deeper shades of my pants, hair, and face. I primarily used the Kneenex, cotton balls, and Q-tips to blend the charcoal, however I occasionally used my fingers and the tortillion.

I chose this picture to draw because of the sense of calmness on my face. That represents what people see. They see what's on the surface: the calmness, the confidence, and the state of being okay. What they do not see however, is what's going on inside of our heads. They do not see the self doubt and worry that lives with us every second of the day. That is what the background represents. Behind me, I used water color, a media that can be hard to control at times, to paint a wild background that seems random and hectic. Although at first glance, this drawing seems like a normal girl with a sense of serenity on her face and a happy and colorful background, upon deeper examination and thought, it is a representation of all the thoughts going through my head daily- thoughts of doubt, worry and stress, but also thoughts of excitement, joy, and happiness. This drawing represents me.

Comments

Popular Posts