Patriotic Piece 2018

SaluteInk on paper. 2018
Roy Lichtenstein was a well-known American Pop Artist who changed the outlook and perspective of art for viewers in the years to come. He was drafted and sent to Europe in 1945 and composed a number of sketches during his deployment. I am mesmerized by his satisfying and seemingly perfect art work which is the inspiration for my patriotic piece. I saw a picture of Painting with Statue of Liberty (1983) and was immediately inspired. I stepped out of my comfort zone of pencils and realism, and I decided to try my hand at ink and Pop Art. With my drawing, Salute, I depicted a young girl with her hand raised in salute. For the background, I used shapes inspired by the American flag such as stars and stripes, as well as the patriotic colors of red, white, and blue. To create the notorious Ben-day dots often used by Roy Lichtenstein, I used a spatula with circle cutouts as a stencil. Roy Lichtenstein introduced an unconventional artistic style to America. I am trying to do the same by entering my Pop Art inspired piece rather than the realism I typically see in the contest finalists.

Comments

Popular Posts